Agile Uprising Book Club

Creating this thread to attempt to start a book club which will be in two parts.

1. Use this thread to talk about books you are currently reading and give learnings, reviews etc.
  2. POSSIBLY turn this into a monthly book club if enough people are interested which could turn into future podcast episodes reviewing and discussing books.

I’ll start because I’ve bought so many damn books this month and have limited my WIP to 1 at a time now due to not finishing them.

Finished in 2018:

Currently reading:

Books I’ve purchased but haven’t read yet.

Currently reading:

• Laura Ingalls Wilder series from my childhood before handing it to my kids to read, great reminder of survival in the west during post colonial expansion

Books in my queue:

• Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability by Daniel S. Vacanti << I’ve been told this is the best modern book covering all things agile metrics.
  • Specification by Example by Gojko Adzic

Holy horsecow, people! I’ve got a long list of reading material… We’ve been running an in-house agile bookclub for our team of agilists, so far it’s been:

Lean Start-Up - Eric Ries
Coaching Agile Teams - Lyssa Adkins (we’ve all done the Agile Coaching Institute Bootcamp, so this has been a revisit)
on deck: Banish Your Inner Critic - Denise Jacobs (2 of us caught her keynote @ Agile2017)

On my desk and personal reading list are:
User Story Mapping - Jeff Patton (skimmed thru)
the afore-mentioned Actionable Agile Metrics (did a fast read-thru)
Scaling Lean & Agile Development - Craig Larman & Bas Vodde (read about 1/3)
Training from the Back of the Room - Sharon Bowman
The Coaching Habit - Michael Bungay Stanier
Kanban from the Inside - Mike Burrows

Recommend to me (and in the library):
The Software Craftsman - Sandro Mancuso
The Phoenix Project - Kim, Behr, Spafford

I already love this thread, it’s giving me ideas about what books to buy next! Going to do my first review today.

In Process:
Actionable Agile Metrics, Vacanti (the hype is real people…EVERYONE should read this! And buy a physical copy, you’re going to want to make notes/highlights)

Backlog:
Specification by Example, Gojko Adzic
DevOps Handbook, Kim, etc.
This is Lean; Resolving the Efficiency Paradox, Niklas Modig (been recommended by multiple podcast guests, need to dig in)

Not including my non-agile stuff as that list is too long to type. I try and keep one agile/one non-agile book going at all times to keep me from hitting a rut.

I love the idea of a book club! We should start with Vacanti’s next book “When will it be done?” He’s 80% complete per Leanpub, when he releases it we should set up a group!

I’m down for this!

Also update my OP with links!

I’m on the lookout for Agendashift by Mike Burrows as well - I think due to hit the streets in April.

what @troy said about the links…

Awesome thank you the links are a big help

This is a great idea. My last few I enjoyed were The Goal and Lean Start Up and The Pragmatic Programmer. I know a couple of those are relatively old, but still very relevant.

My upcoming include:

• Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek
  • Strategize by Roman Pichler
  • Jobs to be done by Anthony W. Ulwick
  • Extreme Leadership by Jack Wellink
  • Strategic Storytelling by Dave McKinsey

Just finished: The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More

I am currently working through Go Dog Go, The Cat in The Hat, and Green Eggs and Ham

Blockquote “That Sam I am. That same I am, I do not like that Sam I am”

I recommend you push to include The Places You’ll Go because it is awesome. You can even go in video form as read by John Lithgow

I admit I can quote the book from cover to cover. Still, one of the best books for kids with its messages.

Sometimes you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win, because you play against you!
But on you will GO! …

There’s a free download for Jobs To Be Done…

I attended a session at one of the first Agile Open conferences in which the session host guided us through a reading and discussion of Green Eggs and Ham. The main characters can be interpreted as playing out a typical coach/client interaction with a variety of familiar dysfunctions that are instructive to reflect upon.

That’d be fun. Agile archetypes as represented by Dr Seuss.

Finished Reading “The Responsibility Process” by Christopher Avery.

Rating 5 out 5 Stars.

It was so good I immediately starting applying it to my life and I’m seeing results. I created a workshop based on it and have already done it once. It’s one of those books that you read and it unlocks some knowledge and you can’t go back to before you read it. Even if you never apply it, you will actually think differently going forward.

I believe this could be a HUGE benefit to agile teams and I’m going to implement this in a team dynamics workshop I’m creating.

Review coming tonight for Actionable Agile Metrics

I’ve read so many books on agile and leadership that I don’t know where to begin. For ScrumMasters (and other leadership roles), I think Scrum Mastery by Geoff Watts to be the best book on the topic of servant leadership.

Not agile, but who has read Getting Things Done? What did you think?