Agility in Transition

This post illustrates a very personal application of an agile mindset applied to solving complex problems. Most of you don’t know me and those that do may not know I am a transsexual woman. Trust me its not as exotic as it sounds. Transitioning from one gender to another later in life is a challenging process. The process involves counseling, medical and cosmetic procedures, legal issues and huge basket of personal reflection coupled with a very dynamic impact on personal relationships. the process is also murky at the beginning and gains clarity as you move forward. Sound familiar?

About a month ago I gave an Ignite presentation titled Agility in Transition at Ignite Baltimore . Ignite presentations are different in that you are time boxed to 5 minutes (no slack one way or the other) and you get 20 slides that advance every 15 seconds (weather you want them to or not). The slogan for Ignite is “Enlighten us but make it quick”. I was part of an all woman night. I have to say I was humbled by the issues my co-presenters are tackling. The gist of my presentation was not so much what you are doing but how you are doing it and get going for goodness sake. Far too many great ideas die because we have to have a perfect plan. That thinking kept my life in a miserable and dark place for many years.

So I’ll put the same challenge and call to action out to you as I did to the Ignite audience. What is in your organization or personal life that is worth doing but being planned into oblivion?. It’s time to get going towards that goal, work in iterations, adapt to change, fail and learn, seek real value and get to done.

One note on the video on slide one when I say I am a transsexual woman a fan in the back of the room let out a loud war hoop which generated laughter with me and the audience. Unfortunately that did not get captured on the single mic sound track.

Lastly a bit about me I am Business Analyst, Scrum Master, an advocate for applying agile thinking to solve problems, and believer in strength through diversity especially women’s and LGBT perspectives.

I would love to hear your comments on my video

Ignite 19 Agility in Transition Winnie Hull

@Winnie I am humbled and proud to be in the same community with you. That must have been challenging (not just because of the format), but because you made Agile personal to you. I don’t know the struggles you face, or what it could possibly feel like. What I do know is it’s hard to share about your personal life in a professional setting.

This AU member salutes that, and if there’s ever a time when we can break bread or share drinks this Texan is all for it. Good luck with your own personal transition, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

One last thing: keep telling your story. Expand the presentation little by little until you have something to present at conferences. Stories like this would make conferences more powerful and would also benefit our community. Let me know if I can help in this regard. :slight_smile:

Thank you @Winnie! As one of the few that do know you, this community is much better for having you as a member.

Often I hear thought leaders talk about transparency, safety, and honesty as the foundational pillars of change. Those leaders cannot hold a candle to you. You rule.

Hi Chris thank you for the kind words. I will keep telling this story. It is important that people and organizations understand what is possible if they just get started. If I am ever headed for Texas I will let you know.

Ryan thank you for the support it means a lot to me.

Thank you for your courage in sharing your story. <3