Coaching Agile Teams Discussion

I had the pleasure of attending the Agile Coaching Institute three day Coaching Agile Teams course. I’ll be using this thread to post some things I learned and also for others who have taken the course to post theirs and observations of applying them in real life.

A big takeaway for me was the difference between mentoring and coaching and how powerful coaching. It was a realization that I should give less advice and ask more powerful question depending on the circumstance. Since returning I’ve practiced this a few times and I’m really enjoying it. It’s challenging but with practice I think level 2 listening will become more natural.

Also i’ve already used Journey lines :slight_smile:

I also love to employ the concept of an “uncomfortable silence” after asking such a question… good teams get uncomfortable real quick as silence settles and they realize that you aren’t going to answer the question for them. (and if they don’t, you might have a dysfunctional team or environment!)

So I will have the opportunity practice uncomfortable silence soon.

We have a team that has very low levels of psychological safety.

Primary evidence is last 3-6 months of eNPS data. In the toilet.

Root cause, imo, management values, beliefs and practices along with a culture of organizational silence, combined with a heavy reliance on contingent workforce (contractors)

I plan to have an ice breaker - Adkin’s Explain/Explore

And then follow with Team Safety Check Survey.

And then @troy’s New Retro Idea "The Integral Retro"

I’m going to have to practice counting silently in my head to 10…

These coaching concepts are within the context of agile teams in various stages of maturity. Mentoring is a must when it comes to agile concepts and related techniques.

I did this course last year with Lyssa Adkins, and I found it to be life changing. I agree with Shankargoli, that although coaching is powerful and really useful with teams that are agile already mentoring is an absolute must with less mature teams.

The big take away for me was creating a coaching stance, so that I have some self-defined boundaries that I can hold myself to.