Welcome to the Coalition! Introduce yourself :-)

Hi there, I’m Terry the Trainer :wink: Agile and Scrum trainer from Germany doing certification and introductory classes, some more advanced ones as well if I get the chance. Companies and organizations I’ve worked for are from various backgrounds, such as IT startups, military, university / academia. I’m also doing open classes with training provider companies. I have several years of training experience, but started out with software (JIRA mainly), from there I somehow got to Scrum and Agile about a year ago, after some experience as a practitioner in software rollout projects. By now I’ve decided to be dedicated to training and some consulting. And so far, I really enjoy teaching the concepts.

Not necessarily looking for new clients as I have two small children and want to maintain some work-life balance as well. I’m really here to exchange information and experience in the hopes to be able to continuously grow and improve as a trainer.

Glad to have found this forum and hope to meet many like-minded people. Grabbing a beer while I’m here, too. Have a great day!

Hi Linda, what you say about therapist is so true! Many people are so glad to find someone to talk to about their daily woes. And that’s so understandable.

Congrats on being a speaker at Women in Agile2017, sounds intriguing! I’ll definitively check that out - as long as the roles of PO and SM are so often referred to as “He is…” / “He does…” out there I always think “well, okay, still some way to go here”
:wink:

Also, I found this forum the same way that you did. Maybe it was even the same LinkedIn thread? 8)

Welcome. It sounds like your organization is making great strides towards an agile transition. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you listen to the podcasts: http://podcast.agileuprising.com/ You’ve only hit the top layer of the treasure trove! :grin:

Welcome @lindapodder ! I’m looking forward to hearing more about your experiments and hearing you speak at some Agile2018 events. What topics are you thinking about?

HI @AnLeBe and @lindapodder,

I really look forward to learning from both of your experiences. And whilst I can’t drink beer, I will happily share a libation of some variety.

Welcome

Agree… if you have something to add, this thread might gain from it: Gender Diversity... it's about all of us every day!

@lindapodder your audio from your talk was aired on the Agile Uprising Podcast. It was great meeting you in person at the Women in Agile event. http://po.st/SzHrJX

Howdy all - My name is Jen Frahm and I’m an organisational change practitioner based in Melbourne, Australia. I came to the Coalition from the podcast, which I have been fan of for sometime now. Increasingly my work has focused on agile themes and projects. I spoke at Agile Australia a couple of years ago on translating OCM for Agile (or how can a change practitioner add value to agile initiatives). My favourite quote is “As I learn, so do I teach, as I teach so do I learn” and that kinda sums up my life in agile at the moment! I do a lot of public speaking, published a book this year and I also host a podcast (Conversations of Change).

Outside of professional life I get very enthusiastic about wine, cooking, bushwalking and way too many TV series. Ya gotta shut off some-how.

Heya Jen,

Pleased to see another Aussie on the boards. I have to ask, which reason and varietal is your poison for wine?

Welcome

Alas @bradstokes I am varietally promiscuous and share the Jen love around many wineries and varieties. With the exception of Sauvignon Blanc. A gal has to have some standards. I do offer a special affection for champagne, a buttery chardonnay and a rich cab sav… (and thank you for the welcome :slight_smile: )

Ha! What a trip :slight_smile: It was great to meet you too!

Thanks! I’m trying to put together something on “A Day in the Life of a Scrum Master”. I’d like to highlight the fact that we’re not just event facilitators and showcase all the cool things we do with our teams. I found a really cool resource from a thread I was following on LinkedIn http://scrummasterchecklist.org/pdf/ScrumMaster_Checklist_12_unbranded.pdf that is helping to guide my outline.

OK, since I volunteered for a podcast I guess I’ll introduce myself :grin:

My name is Bob Bartz, currently a Scrum Master at PNC Bank in Pittsburgh. I’ve worked in the Agile space as a Scrum Master/BA/QA since 2010 and fortunately am now with an organization that fully embraces agility at all levels. I first found out about this forum from @Scrummando after the Heart of Agile conference last year, and I can’t thank him enough for it.

To say I’ve learned a lot of techniques and methods that have helped me improve my professional life is an understatement. All the podcasts, especially the Manifesto signer series, are great to hear and I really appreciate them. Before visiting here, I never heard of “The Goal” or “The Phoenix Project”. I’ve read them both and am now working on “The DevOps Handbook”. I never heard of Deming, and now I’ve read a lot of about his findings and take them to heart on a regular basis. @andycleff I love the regular quotes from him you share since he always seems to be right!

Anyway, thanks again to all that make this place possible and I hope I can contribute where I can. It’s always nice to hear about other folks on their own journeys.

Glad to have you on board, Bob!!!

Also good to know there’s at least one org in the US that fully embraces agility at all levels :slight_smile:

Share with us how that happened, we can steal from it…

HOA brought a lot of us together one way or another… so more props and kudus to @Scrummando @cusack and others who made it possible.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey - work + life …

And when your night stand starts to run low on books, we have plenty more as a group that we’ve loved…

I also have my own list going, with some overlap of the above:

And I’m sure you’ve got some you’ve read that we should pick up as well…

Dear Coalition,

My name is Bogdan and I work in Amsterdam at the HEINEKEN Headquarters. My job is to transform teams (split currently plan-build-run) into Agile product teams that would get to manage the entire lifecycle of the product.

I’ve been exposed to Scrum since 2013 and started in the last couple of years with some Kanban experiments. Next to that, I have been doing Lean 6 Sigma projects for quite a while.

If I look at the personas you guys have created and my own organization, I recognize myself as “Fred, the Frustrated Practitioner”.

Good to be here! Thanks for creating this Agile bubble for the likes of us.

Hi @Bogdan_Onaca,

Welcome to the coalition. This place is great and can be an awesome place to find help. What has you frustrated right now?

Hey there. Name’s Kiryl. I’m an Agile Coach, currently residing near Amsterdam. I moved here a few month ago from Belarus (for those who don’t know, it’s between Poland and Russia and it’s not a part of Russia :slight_smile: ). I’ve been in the role of a Scrum Master/Agile Coach for about 5 years, and 5 years as a software developer before that. Looking forward to some good exchange of knowledge.

Welcome!

Hi @bradstokes and all,

What gets me frustrated is: people’s resistance to change, the easiness with which we talk about mindset change and the lack of action behind this and (empty) buzzwords, in general, get me frustrated.

Bogdan

Leadership from the bottom

I can imagine,

Worthwhile rarely equals easy. Any change (be it mindset or methods) requires discipline, passion and perseverance to stick. My experience is that buzzwords are only helpful if the open up the conversation and not at all if things stops there.

Resistance to change is pretty normal. Stepping beyond the status quo is always difficult for people. Even for those of us that try to embrace it. I fail at it all the time.

We make our gains in silence most of the time. The wins are small. Look through the posts for stories of frustration from brothers and sisters in arms. You will definitely feel it in a few of mine.

We run a long race. The good thing is that we don’t run it alone. You will find people asking questions of when others feel it is the right time to move on. There aren’t often easy answers.

Welcome from people that bear the scars, but hold hope fresh. You are amongst friends.

@JayHorsecow @andycleff @troy There might be a podcast here. “The buzz is a dull hum, what now?!” :smiley: