Liberating Structures - a new find

Got to experiment with LS at Agile2019 retrospective. Here is my blog post about designing and facilitating it with Liberating Structures https://www.agileplayconsulting.com/post/agile2019-retrospective-with-a-twist-or-liberating-structures-for-the-win

Conference survival

I have used 1-2-4-all for large group retrospectives with continued success. Not only do you get impressive involvement, but in the case of workshops/conferences, it is a way to get people moving/talking/interacting after long periods of having been static.

Since my original post, I’ve had several direct encounters with Liberating Structures techniques in practice. For instance, Mike Burrows leverages 1-2-4-All (among others) in his Agendashift model. I’ve also directly spoken with someone at the Plexus Institute, which is where LS first evolved. It’s got my mind spinning on a couple of different but intersecting vectors…

I’m angling to use TRIZ with 1-2-4 for our next program retro, I’ll let you know how it goes. Also seeing more LS in the Scrum space which is positive.

How was it? What did the team think about the TRIZ?

Sadly I didn’t get a chance to use it, they ended up bagging our session. But I’ve still got all my prep work, looking to use it in a different session coming up. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Resisting Retrospective Antipatterns.pdf (1.4 MB)
So I co-hosted a meet-up and introduced both 1-2-4-All and W3 per the attached deck. In hindsight, the notion of retro anti-patterns lends itself to TRIZ - and I’d reverse the order of 1-2-4-All and W3.

Excitingly, my meet-up will be hosting @dgeaston in Novemeber. Denise is associated with the Plexus Institute, which is where LS emerges from.

I want to give a very public thank you and shout out to @Dana_Pylayeva who recorded an episode last night with us specifically around Liberating Structures…be on the lookout for it this Sunday! Thanks again Dana for joining us!

Thank for inviting me, Jay! Enjoyed our conversation very much.

Here’s a link to the podcast: