Agile Uprising Book Club

Read it when it came out, I remember it having quite an impact on me… but it’s been so long I don’t remember how. So… I vote, you should read it!?!

Book Review: Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability

Best book on Kanban and Flow metrics I’ve read to date. Actually learned how wrong I was about a few things particularly classes of service. Also great learnings on “flow debt” and assumptions necessary to keep for Little’s Law to be effective.

For any Agile Coach, Scrum Master, Manager, I HIGHLY recommend this book. You don’t have to be using the Kanban framework to apply these things at all. They are an awesome addition to scrum and in some ways an improvement over the way current scrum forecasting works.

I’ve gotten so much mileage out of this book I should be paying Dan royalties. I made it a mandatory read for everyone involved in our agile transformation.

Spiral Dynamics Integral Review:

Possibly the most important book I’ve read so far pertaining to change and how to help guide others through change. As a coach this book opened my eyes to how to approach any situation and meet people where they are at.

On a personal note, it’s also been helping me with my family as well. I highly recommend this to literally anyone regardless of what you do for a living but for agile coaches it’s incredible.

A nice graphic that visualizes the change people go through before going from one meme code to the other (that will make a lot of sense if you read it someday lol)

Closely resembles the change curve, or Kubler Ross stages of grief. Added to the reading queue.

There is a very popular book titled “reinventing organizations” which I am about to read. It’s totally based on the spiral dynamics book. I wanted to read the original materials before the interpretations

isn’t that the whole “teal organizations” thing?

It is, Jay. Some wonderful and inspiring case studies in Laloux’s book, and loads of resources on sites likes http://www.reinventingorganizationswiki.com/Main_Page

Some great starting points for experiments!

yes it’s based on spiral dynamics but It’s some things are different. Before reading that though I wanted to understand the root material which is the spiral dynamics book.

Just finished the “DevOps Handbook.” Second time I read it actually but the first time I only got half way through. Definitely a book anyone in software should read especially at enterprise companies. It gives many great real world examples and case studies. It’s amazing how some people misunderstand what devops is. This would be the first thing I would recommend them reading to understand. Even the first few chapters would be a good start.

I just finished the DevOps Handbook as well. It really gets into the core of what “devops” is, and even for someone who’s never written a line of code you easily grasp why these engineering practices are pivotal for success. Makes you also appreciate how that word, much like agile, is thrown around by many people with no understanding of it’s true definition.

The line that stuck with me: “If it was important enough to write code for, it’s important enough to monitor” from the chapter on telemetry.

Michael Spayd has a forthcoming book, Coaching the Agile Enterprise, that builds on this material. I got an overview when I attended the Agile Coaching Institute bootcamp. Looks like this is a year out tho…

Updated OP with more books and links. SO MANY TO READ

You should add GTD by David Allen so people have a chance of prioritizing the books and reading them all.

Quarter of the way into primal leadership. Holy shit

Yeah? Say more… @troy … make me want to read it next.

Current:

And I’d totally be down for a book club. :slight_smile:

Thinking about scheduling a book club podcast next month

Currently reading Accelerate: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations by Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble, and Gene Kim.