Agile Uprising Book Club

Let me know how it is, is second on my list to read.

So weā€™ve got some great book ideas. Any ideas on how we would start this club up?

Would we pick a book, read it - and discuss it? On a monthly basis? Or break the book up into readings, and go deep on what we learned or wanted to debate, every few weeks - extending the book reading time, but focused more on conversation?

What ideas does everyone have?

Def think it needs to be something we leverage for podcasts - perhaps a way to connect this community with podcast exposure? Always wanted the ā€œevery person podcastā€ meaning you donā€™t need to be a published author, renowned, or a conference speaker junkie to make a podcast :slight_smile:

+100

Current list
Transformational leadership: How leaders change teams, Companies and organizations
Everyone Communicates, Few Connect
Principles: Life and Work
Mentoring 101
The New Art of the Leader.

Halfway thru User Story Mapping, and Iā€™m awed by the brilliance. I find myself photocopying segments and leaving them in peopleā€™s cubes/offices with post-its that say READ ME on them.

Alsoā€¦guess I have to move this up the list of to-readā€™sā€¦

Here are some of the books I found useful on my agile journey so far:
Coaching Agile Teams by Lyssa Adkins
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
Start with Why by Simon Sinek
Primal Leadership by Daniel Goleman
Mindset by Carol Dweck
Lean Software Development by Mary and Tom Poppendieck
The Principles of Product Development Flow by Donald Reinertsen
The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

I am currently reading:
Sex, Ecology, Spirituality by Ken Wilber
Immunity to Change by Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey

I am finding myself drawn to books outside of the agile space which becomes useful to use inside the agile space.

I hope you find the books as useful as I did.

On my listā€¦ let me know what you think so farā€¦

Just finished ā€œAn Everyone Culture: DDOā€ and doing a podcast interview w Andy Flemming today. Releases in a couple week.

Huge fan of the Systems Thinking Playbook - great for coaches who are looking for out of the box games to unlock creativity with teams.

Currently reading The Fifth Discipline and Lean Agile Enterprise - both are fantastic so far!

@William The fifth discipline is a book you recommend leadership to read. Was wondering if you had any thoughts about why one this one is so important for leadership ?

@troy I recommend it for leadership to increase their awareness about feedback loops, more specifically, the various kinds of feedback loops and systemic thinking. I have found these things lacking from some of the leaders at client sites I have been working at. Once the leaders learn about feedback loops and systemic thinking and how they can use and influence it, the teams in their area of influence started to perform better.

I love the idea of this. I commute a lot so am mainly focusing on audiobooks because of that. I am delighted to say that ā€œHigh Performance Habitsā€ has been released as a free podcast https://castbox.fm/va/1052680 with a follow on season just starting.
The other books I have really found insightful lately from a more broad person development perspective are ā€œOur iceberg is meltingā€ and ā€œThe coaching habitā€.
Thought provoking from a more strategic view point is my current read ā€œGrowing up fastā€, which discusses the benefits traditional hierarchical organisations could reap through applying elements of Agile to the wider business context.

4 chapters into Accelerate. Iā€™m really impressed so farā€¦ Itā€™s a distillation of areas Iā€™ve poked around before, but puts it together in a tight way. No surprises given the authors (Forsgren, Humble & Kim), but thereā€™s a strong emphasis on cultural. The graphing that they do in terms of X factor drives/influences Y factor is readily digestible. Itā€™d be a good one to pass to the managerial types, IMO.

The same book order delivered Agendashift by Mike ā€œKanban-from-the-Insideā€ Burrows. Iā€™ve been following the slack and LinkedIn channels for a while. Details to followā€¦

I really liked Accelerate. Wouldā€™ve changed the chapter order to put the statistics stuff at the end, but it was a great read nonetheless.

Iā€™m over 50 books completed so far this year. You can see what Iā€™ve read and what I am reading on Goodreads.

I just finished Principles: Life and Work and I am just starting Spiral Dynamics Integral.