Business Process Diagram

I whiteboarded a business process worflow diagram today for the first time in what-feels-like-in-forever. Every time I do it I have to refresh my memory on what the shapes mean, thus highlighting my ignorance or lack of use on them.

This happen to any of you lately? If so what was it about?

Not really answering your question, but I <3 BPMN. So logical and easy to use, I wish there was more adoption in technology. When you get your business to start explaining how they do their work in process diagrams it’s transformative and makes your life so much easier. Most times they self-solve and resolve their own process bottlenecks.

As old school and water-fally as it seems, there’s a lot of value to mapping things out and seeing where stuff gets stuck. At ThoughtWorks, we use technical VSM sessions to see where data flows happen in architecture and help possibly align around improvements. As a sometimes-BA, it brings me joy to just draw what the architects and devs are saying and ask, “ok where’s the logjam?”

First off, I do love a good old process map, And to be fair I don’t care if its not technically perfect since I put them together to help my team understand (and me too) rules and decision flows. I like to do a WB mapping form time to time with users as its great to see the penny drop for them where their vision of a new and improved process has holes. Then of course its time to help them through it.

My memory failings always come around when I’m asked to present all my findings (for the waterfall types) - I’m so used to using a board\post-its and just talking about it. I end up spending ages looking for the best template or format.