first time poster here, looking for help and suggestions.
I work for a smallish ( 50-60 people), but growing data company.
We started adopting Agile practices across the enterprise with support from the senior leaders of the organisation, and, to begin with, we started with the Spotify model.
Since then we have iterated on many aspects of the organisational design and functioning and, across the organisation, things seem to be going reasonably well, and we are continuously improving
but, we are left with one Spotify artefact which just isn’t working - Chapters.
Chapters were intended to
- build capability of individuals and the organisation ( recruitment, training, skills development)
- Promote collaboration across the organisation
- Foster innovations and exchange of ideas, creative thinking and so on
- Help to overcome challenges by bringing people together from across the organisation with different points of view
- Establish and promote a common set of Best Practices ( or Sensible Defaults if, like me, you hate
- Provide a point for employees to have an interface with the organisation outside of their squads (some kind of leadership, support and all the things that some people miss in a flat structure)
So, it’s not working very well, and some of the problems are
- lack of consistency across chapter leaders ( in terms of effort, focus, chapter culture, ideas and so on)
- to broad a set of skills/roles within a chapter for people to align on areas of interest
- to narrow a set of skills/roles within a chapter for people to bring anything new and fresh and interesting
- not enough time away from squad work for leads and members to work towards Chapter goals (or a lack of interest)
- Chapter leads are to far removed from the day to day of their members to provide effective advice, leadership, assessment of performance and so on
I would like to get some ideas on based on peoples experiences about what they do to achieve what our Chapters were intended to achieve (above), and conversely, so we can avoid pain, what have you tried which hasn’t worked?
We are open to all ideas, from throwing out the Chapters entirely, to, whatever it takes…
I’m open to reading articles and books, and listening to (specific) podcast episodes if you’ve got some relevant suggestions that I should look up.
Thanks in advance.