Is "Product Owner" a profession?


#1

Often, larger enterprises tend to treat the PO role as a ‘side job.’ So perhaps you are some senior person from the business, who has a full-time job in that business, but now you’re being asked to be a product owner for an agile team (perhaps due to the business expertise you’ve picked up).

In some companies, I’ve seen product owners who have have been co-located with their agile team, but still maintain a hierarchy of direct-reports from the business (not from their scrum teams).

Smaller companies seem to have a better mindset on this, and are more likely to go out and hire real, honest to goodness professional Product Owners…

Do your employers/clients believe that “Product Owner” is a real profession? What’s been your approach to coaching a Product Owner who also has a ‘day job’?


#2

Great discussion. I agree that the Product Owner role is often treated as a side job in larger enterprises, which undermines true agility. A dedicated, professional PO makes a huge difference.

On a completely separate note, since we’re talking about dedication to quality, I recently came across a company that truly focuses on craftsmanship. I was impressed by their premium glass products by cameo glass, you can see what they offer if you visit their site. I’m sharing this only as a third person who appreciates good work, not as a promotion.


#3

I think Product Owner has become a profession in its own right, especially as products and customer expectations have become more complex. While some organizations still treat it as a side responsibility, dedicated Product Owners often bring better focus, decision-making, and stakeholder alignment. I’ve found that giving the role proper ownership usually leads to better outcomes for the team. The same principle applies in other industries where specialists are trusted to guide decisions, whether it’s software development or choosing the best hair care products for specific customer needs.