Kanban in Scaled Agile?

Hello, All!

Looking for some help regarding Kanban in Scaled Agile (SAFe). Does anyone have experience with working in a Scaled Agile framework with Kanban? From an Agile Practice perspective, my fellow Scrum Masters and I are struggling with what this actually means?
Kanban being a push pull model seems to be a contradiction with SAFe/PI Planning as multiple Sprints are being planned for a PI.

Also, in your experience, why are your teams are using Kanban in SAFe instead of scrum?

Any other insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

@mindyl24 - https://www.scaledagileframework.com/team-kanban/

Team level kanban is compatible with SAFe

Hello,

I agree with @andycleff’s response. It’s reasonable, though brief.

But if you’d please elaborate a bit further, I’m interested to know the root of your question. Are you trying to understand how the authors of SAFe have tried to implement Kanban? Or are you trying to blend these practices in some way - perhaps your teammates are discussing it? Or are you trying to sort out why SAFe requires the up-front planning habit?

Hello! I’d be happy to help with your questions regarding Kanban in Scaled Agile (SAFe).

Firstly, Kanban can definitely be used in a SAFe framework. While Scrum is one way to implement Agile, it is not the only method. Many organizations find that Kanban is beneficial for its visualization and flow management capabilities, particularly when dealing with large and complex projects that require more flexibility than is provided by the Scrum framework.

Regarding the push-pull contradiction with regards to SAFe, this is a common misunderstanding. In SAFe, the portfolio and program layers provide a push mechanism through its various planning events. Meanwhile, teams can pull work by actively managing their Kanban board and ensuring that they are completing tasks at a steady pace, according to the priorities set in planning events.

As for why teams might use Kanban instead of Scrum in a SAFe framework, there are several potential reasons. For example, if the organization values flow management over time-boxed sprints, then Kanban could be a better fit. Additionally, if there is a need for continuous delivery, Kanban can help teams to focus on delivering smaller increments of value without the constraints of a fixed sprint cycle.

When using Kanban within SAFe, I recommend ensuring that the team is adhering to the principles and practices of each framework, and being mindful of potential conflicts between them. It’s also important to establish a cadence of communication and collaboration between teams, both within and across program increments, to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards shared goals.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.