Podcast Released: State of Agile Report

Listen Here

Disclaimer: We are aware of some audio issues with this show and had an internal discussion about the readiness of this content. We sent the show through multiple audio processes and mitigated the noise as best as we could. Following this show, we have invested in a significant recording upgrade which should be heard on future episodes. Thanks to the audience as we increment and improve through our podcast learning.

Join our panel, including Jay Hrcsko, Jason Cusack, Andrew Leff and Ryan Lockard as they discuss the 11th annual State of Agile report from Version One. The report and discussion are both on the Agile Uprising Coalition on this thread.

The discussion traverses the areas of distributed teams, reasons why companies decide to work with the agile mindset, software quality, DevOps, the famous framework discussion and of course the scaling conversation.

We hope you enjoy this episode and consider subscribing, reviewing and sharing our podcast. You can follow us on Twitter at @AgileUprising.

This has to be one of my favorite podcasts I’ve listened to. Literally laughed out loud.

While there were a ton of awesome key takeaways from the conversation, I think the biggest one for me was the tool working for the team instead of the team working within a tool. From my experience, every organization that has “implemented a tool” to assist their agile journey essentially turns it into a way of tracking/measuring productivity, scope completion, and scope planning, which is all useless measurements of value added. Not to mention, refinement meetings are extremely dry and boring when projecting stories onto a wall while everyone watches someone mistype multiple times and then eventually zoning out thinking about if they are going to finish their active sprint work.

Perhaps the survey should be worded in a way that asks the users how they operate/handle situations or scenarios instead of “do you use this or this”. That way, the survey can derive their actual category of association and maturity instead of them having the false representation that they are adopting the agile mindset.
An example would be like a “scrum” respondant saying they do two week iterations, release quarterly, have PO engage 25% on project, and track velocity as their primary attribute of success. If a story is not finished in a sprint, they close it out and “re-point” the new story in the next sprint. They size defects to help plan towards velocity and actively demo to stakeholders once a month due to availability. I’d say that would be way information than just “we use scrum”.

P.S. - I also used IBM Rational and wanted to stab my eyes out

Glad you enjoyed! We went back and forth regarding releasing it due to the quality, but based upon your feedback alone it was worth it.

I think the overriding feeling regarding the survey was the questions are worded in a way that in some instances were too generic and didn’t lend themselves to answers that didn’t ask more questions.

DOORS is the pits. I cannot say that enough.