Practicing trust

Trust is so important to what we do. It is why integrity becomes a part of who we are as agile practitioners.

What are the ways that you keep faith with those around you? What are your daily practices that help engender trust?

Conversely where have you seen the contract broken? How could it have been avoided? How can we rehabilitate those relationships? Should we do so? Why or why not?

Just putting out there. I saw this on LinkedIn https://medium.com/axial-product-and-design/rebuilding-trust-in-a-product-organization-9412e7313327?source=linkShare-41be9a8f513b-1512173374

@andycleff is about 4 hours ahead of me again :slight_smile:

Wait, @bradstokes that is not possible. You live in the future. Itā€™s tomorrow where you areā€¦

There are hours of good conversation on this wonderful topicā€¦

Some of the things I practice, to keep the faith, and Iā€™ve written about (to help me remember) are:

The contract is so easily broken. I forget where I first head the analogyā€¦ (or is it a metaphorā€¦i never know the diff)

ā€œTrust is a bucket that fills drop by drop, yet you can kick it over in an instant.ā€

I am passionate about this topicā€¦ and would love to host a conversation / podcast in 2018ā€¦

PS: Practicing vulnerability: Iā€™m afraid the above list might come across differently than I intend it to. Not provided with ego attachment ā€œLook what I knowā€ā€¦ but more ā€œHereā€™s what Iā€™ve discovered along my journey, I want to share it, to start conversations, to be able to come back to a ā€˜journey historyā€™ when I forget and veer off in a side path and get lostā€

I currently contemplating how an organisation restores trust with itā€™s employees once it is broken. Trust in a personal relationship takes time, good will and hard work.

What is it like when a system goes awry and either intentionally or unintentionally injures? Can the relationship at the relationship restored? Is it the same as a personal relationship? Is it harder or worse?

And I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Most of my writing is me working through an idea.

I was reading this and thinking, ā€œthis looks a lot like non-violent communicationā€, then I got to the bottomā€¦

Iā€™m reading Paul Hillā€™s book: https://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Mission-Control-Room-Boardroom/dp/099863431X

A captivating glimpse into NASA Mission Controlā€™s descent into ā€œno ripples allowedā€ +ā€œdiplomacy over clarityā€ and subsequent rebuilding of trust at all levels.

The TLDR is that the rebuilding started at the very top of the org, and re-grew level by level.

It was, a continues to be, a leadership journey.

Hillā€™s got five book recommendations that were integral to NASA MODā€™s transformation/rebirth:

• What Got You Here Wonā€™t Get You There, Marshall Goldsmith
  • The Speed of Trust : The One Thing That Changes Everything, Stephen M. R. Covey
  • Leading Change, John P. Kotter
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leapā€¦ and Others Donā€™t, Jim Collins
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, Jim Collins and Jerry I. Porras

And he suggests a leadership book club that works thru the titles, top to bottom.

And not your standard book club - an experiential one.

Love that list

Transparency, courage, respectā€¦ it all starts there, it all ends there. If the organization is dysfunctional (and you want to help fix it rather than run away screamingā€¦), then you have to foster people in positions of leadership to start truly embracing those three ideas in everything they say and do.