This is what we're up against

This site not only has some great articles but I find their commenters usually very intelligent and erudite. The comments on this article start off talking about the failure of the project and eventually turn into an agile-bashing session. As the title of this post suggests, these are some of the “issues” with agile that we as practicing professionals need to confront on a daily/weekly/career-long basis. While we can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube regarding the perception we owe it to ourselves as a community to work to rectify this viewpoint.

Are their systems still in COBOL? And did somebody shuffle the punch cards?

We all say this over and over again:

• “Agile” won’t fix your problems. It will just make them visible.

Go to the comments section…it’s an agile bash-fest. That’s what I meant about what we’re up against.

I couldn’t bear to read thru them… made my stomach hurt.

I agree. And didn’t want to feed the trolls.

More specifically, the troll called “vlade” is bashing Agile… then simultaneously trying to appear as the expert all-things Scrum/XP/Kanban/Agile.

Most other commenters (at a glance) are, more appropriately, faulting the “flash cut” mindset. The article is just proof that big-batch releases are bad business. It’s yet another case study proving that software products are extremely complex and that iterative and incremental development (small, reversible steps) is less-risky.

Andy - this stuff used to make my stomach turn as well. Still does a little. But we can’t ignore this. There is more and more of this out there as we see people misuse agile principles and practices.

Whenever there is a “gold rush” there will be always be someone selling the fast route to success. I feel the best I can do is instead show what is the best route to success through disciplined practice and teaching.

Keep practicing at your best … and …

Keep the faith that you can still do good in the world through your practice.

It put a big smile on my face when people blame lack of quality, flexibility, and ability to scale against the buzzwords Agile promotes of “better, cheaper, faster!”. My heart aches for the individuals who ignore technical excellence and automating techniques.

My entire career and passion exists because people, similar to the comments in that article, will always be one of many anchors weighing down the potential companies can achieve.

Agile doesn’t promote this… dumb agile bandwagon promoters do!

Also, it’s never been “faster”… it’s always been “find your mistakes sooner”